Denise Goldberg's blog

Jumping from white snow to red rocks
A short wander in the desert southwest

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flying high

Shhh, quiet. Denise is sleeping. Wow – she usually has trouble falling asleep on airplanes, but today? I think she must be really, really tired. So I'm writing and bouncing around the plane while she sleeps.

Oh! You haven't read one of our journals before? My name is Rover. I'm a little red dog, and I wander with Denise. I like playing with words, so Denise lets me share the writing. For those of you who don't know me, here's a photo of me from our visit to Zion National Park last spring...



OK, back to today. The alarm startled us out of a sound sleep this morning. It was early since that big bird was scheduled to take off at 7 AM, and Denise didn't know if the roads were going to be covered with snow, so she figured it might be best to leave a little earlier than usual. The roads weren't too bad, although there were sections of highway where only the right lane was totally clear. It did take a little longer than usual to get to the airport.

And then, we flew through the sky. We flew fast enough to land 30 minutes early, and we only needed to wait for 5 minutes for the gate to be available for our big bird.

Ah, the ground is dry, the sun is shining, and the morning relative cool is slowly giving way to a warm day. Hiking time for Denise, bouncing time for me!