Denise Goldberg's blog

Jumping from white snow to red rocks
A short wander in the desert southwest

Monday, February 2, 2009

Dreaming, exploring in my mind

This trip is going to be a very quick escape from a winter that seems to bring cold white snow to us every week. In fact, it is supposed to snow tomorrow. Ah, I'm ready for some red rocks!

I think I'm going to wander in two places. I whet my appetite with a quick morning visit to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area late last year, and I left there that knowing I would return, probably many times. There's another park I've been meaning to visit too. Valley of Fire State Park is about 50 miles east of Las Vegas, and it has been calling to me for a visit. The last two times I've visited Zion National Park I've though about stopping at Valley of Fire on my way to the airport, but somehow it never felt like I had enough time.

It's time for a little bit of warmth, and a change in color. I'm looking forward to leaving snow and cold behind for a few days, to filling my eyes with visions of red rocks.